Detroit Diesel Corporation is celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2013.
Starting with the production of the first Detroit engine in March 1938, the company has long served as the industry leader in developing advanced powertrain solutions, which today includes the Detroit family of heavy-duty engines, Detroit Transmissions and Detroit Axles.
Originally founded as the General Motors Diesel Division, the Detroit strength, quality and tradition have been on display through multiple product and technology introductions throughout the years. With the market launch of the Series 60 in 1987, for example, Detroit began to forge the path for cleaner and fuel-efficient heavy-duty engines.
The company officially changed its name to Detroit Diesel Corporation in 1988 as part of a joint venture between Penske Corporation and General Motors, and in 2000 became part of the Daimler family.
From a $350 million investment to refurbish its plant in 2005, to launching the Detroit DD15 engine in 2007 and the implementation of BlueTec SCR emissions technology in 2010, Detroit has continued its emphasis on performance and sustainability.
Most recently, the introduction of Detroit Axles and the Detroit DT12 automated manual transmission marked the completion of the Detroit integrated powertrain.